Candidate for US Congress, Illinois' 14th District
- Lauren Underwood is a registered nurse, with hands-on experience in America’s healthcare industry. Lauren was appointed by President Obama to serve as a Senior Advisor at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). During her time in the administration, Lauren helped communities across the country prevent, prepare for, and respond to disasters, bioterror threats, and public health emergencies. At HHS, Lauren also helped implement the Affordable Care Act — broadening access for those on Medicare, improving healthcare quality, and reforming private insurance.
- Lauren is an adjunct instructor, preparing future nurse practitioners through Georgetown University’s online master’s program.
- As a child, Lauren discovered that she had a heart condition, supraventricular tachycardia, which occasionally prevents her heart from maintaining a normal rhythm. The providers who helped Lauren through her initial treatment made a lasting impression and inspired her career in nursing. As an American with a pre-existing condition, Lauren has a first-hand understanding of the real-life importance of quality, affordable healthcare for working families and their children. In Congress, Lauren will work to propose measures that preserve and expand access to healthcare for American families.
- Lauren clinched the Democratic party’s nomination in her district with a decisive victory, winning over 57% of the vote in her seven-person primary on March 20th.
- She is running against a Tea Party Republican incumbent who consistently votes in lockstep with the Trump Administration’s regressive agenda to reverse healthcare access, deny climate change science, and limit funding for research and discovery — including for the 14th District’s Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, funded by the US Department of Energy.
- Lauren is fighting for access to high-quality, affordable healthcare; strong jobs; infrastructure investments; and the high-quality public education that Northern Illinois families deserve.