Roger Dean Huffstetler
Candidate for US Congress, Virginia's 5th District
- Roger Dean developed his love for science when he was inspired to become a more serious student by his high school chemistry teacher. He graduated college with a degree in Chemistry and enrolled in a PhD Chemistry program at Harvard where he taught Chemistry to undergraduate students.
- Roger Dean left his PhD program to enlist in the US Marines where he got the chance to teach math to his fellow service members and served in Iraq and Afghanistan. After returning from overseas and leaving the Marines, Roger Dean used the GI Bill to get a graduate degree.
- Roger Dean worked in technology before founding his own big data startup and eventually serving as Congressman Seth Moulton’s Chief of Staff.
Roger Dean's race
- Roger Dean is running for Congress against a first term incumbent, Tom Garrett, who is a member of the House Freedom Caucus and a climate denier in a moderate leaning district that has been represented by a Democrat in the last decade.
- Tom Garrett, who represents Charlottesville, met with the organizer of the Charlottesville white supremacy protest just months before the horrific events happened. The outcry against Garrett has become national and will help to put this district in play.
Virginia’s 5th district covers the University of Virginia in Charlottesville and is just the type of district that Democrats need to put in play to take back the house in 2018. Roger Dean is off the a very strong start and the incumbent is one of the weakest fundraisers in Congress, but Republicans will surely not let this district go, Roger Dean needs your help today.