Candidate for US Congress, Virginia's 2nd District
- Elaine is a former nuclear engineer and U.S. Navy commander who was deployed around the world for 20 years operating nuclear reactors and overseeing complex weapons systems. Elaine joined the Navy at 17 so she could give back, and was deployed six times around the world.
- As a Surface Warfare Officer, Elaine worked in the Middle East and the Western Pacific on destroyers, carriers and aircraft carriers and enforced sanctions on Iraqi oil smugglers in the Arabian Gulf, launched jets off the deck of an aircraft carrier in the Indian Ocean to take down terrorists in Iraq and Afghanistan, and operated complex nuclear reactors.
- After retiring from the Navy in 2017, Elaine started a family business, Mermaid Factory, that manufactures products locally and has created jobs in her community.
- Elaine’s experience as a Navy veteran, nuclear engineer and small business owner make her a triple threat, and she will fight hard for evidence-based policy solutions on day one in Congress.
- Elaine is running in a military-rich district with the world’s largest Navy base and among the highest concentration of veterans, including the largest number of female veterans nationwide.
- VA-02 voted for a Democratic governor by 4 points last November and is primed to flip this November.
- Republican incumbent, Scott Taylor, has flip-flopped on his support of offshore drilling on the East Coast.